How do I use my Core Supports funding?

Your CORE SUPPORTS funding is put in place to help you work towards your long-term goals, but more importantly to help you, or the person with a disability to increase their independence and make your everyday life more accessible.

This is the most flexible budget because you can use your funding across any of the 4 support categories that fall under this category.

What can I use my CORE funding for?

The NDIA uses the reasonable & necessary criteria to determine if a support should be funded, and what would be necessary for you/your child under this category. These supports look different for everyone, however it’s often that children under a certain age get limited funding in this area, as the NDIA may determine a large number of these ‘Core supports’ to be are a parental responsibility.

The are 5 categories in your CORE budget. These include:

Assistance with Daily Life


Assistance with Social & Community Participation

Home & Living

Young People in Residential Aged Care

What is Assistance with Daily Life? (Category 1)

Support Workers/carers to provide assistance in your home with daily activities such as grooming, personal care, domestic activities and being independent around the house, support independent living (SIL), short term or medium term accomodations (STA/MTA) house. Assistance with cleaning & yard work

This category appears in the NDIA myPlace portal as ‘Assistance with Daily Life

  • Support workers to assist you at home and in the community
  • Support in the community – accessing community & social groups, building skills, learning how to use public transport,
  • Support at home – assistance with personal care, domestic activities, ensuring safety,
  • Personal care supports
  • Home & yard cleaning and maintenance
  • Respite & Short Term Accomodation
  • Specialist Disability Accomodation (SDA) (assessment required)
Supports the NDIA don’t fund
  • Everyday expenses such as rent, groceries, utilities, personal costs etc.
  • Home cleaning & yard maintenance for parents (if their child is the participant)
  • Holiday/vacation for family & friends – respite is designed so a participant and their carer(s) can have mutually beneficial time apart
  • Trades/home maintenance that anyone (including people without disability) have a need to hire from time to time i.e. pool cleaner, handyman to hang pictures/mount frames, plumber etc.

What is Transport? (Category 2)

This is support that helps you travel to work or other places that will help you pursue the goals in your plan. Cost of taxis, rideshares or other private transport, if you can’t use public transport without great difficulty because of your disability
This category appears in the NDIA myPlace portal as ‘Transport’

Supports the NDIA don’t fund
  • Travel for families, carers or providers of supports
  • Transport to everyday commitments

What are Consumables? (Category 3)

Items you may need like continence products or low-cost assistive technology and equipment to improve your independence and/or mobility. Continence supports are referred to as disability-related health supports, and assist someone if they suffer from incontinence.

This category appears in the NDIA myPlace portal as Consumables

Consumable examples
  • Continence Supports (incl. children under 5 years age if disability related)A continence assessment from a clinical nurse
  • Everyday items such as nappies, disposal wipes and mattress protectors.
  • Access to additional support from professionals to help parents with toileting strategies,
  • Assistive technology support.
  • more expensive continence support or supports if your child has higher care needs than children of a similar-age
  • disposable urinary catheters, please refer to Continence Consumable Guide .
  • mattress protectors
  • continence pads or absorbent pull-ups or briefs
  • continence aids, such as change kits
  • support workers to help with your continence needs if you are unable to do them independently.
  • Home Enteral Nutrition (HEN) -HEN and Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) equipment and maintenance
  • HEN and PEG consumables such as feeding tubes and feed bags or bottles
  • a support worker if you can’t independently manage your HEN requirements, or to help with PEG maintenance and care.
Assistive technology examples (must be low risk, and less than $1500)
  • Mobility supports, for example:Replacement mobility cane
  • replacement covers (like for like)
  • walking stick
  • Communication supports:Auslan or Signed English Training
  • Interpretation & translation services
  • Daily living solutions/daily adaptive equipment:Medication management devices
  • Non-slip bathmats
  • Signature guide
  • Long-handled or adapted grip equipment
  • Assistive cutlery
Supports the NDIA don’t fund
  • Continence items that are NOT related to you disability needs
  • Pharmaceuticals & Medication
  • Assistive technology (AT) items that would be considered medium-high risk 
  • AT items above $1500
  • iPads/laptops that do not meet the NDIA low-cost guidelines

What is Assistance with Social & Community Participation? (Category 4)

Support to help you to engage in social or recreational activities and become more involved in your community. These could include a combination of community and centre-based activities such as art classes, sports, camps, library visits or day trips that include mentoring or peer support to strengthen your ability to participate independently

This category appears in the NDIA myPlace portal as ‘Social, Community and Civic Participation.

  • Specialised equipment or modification to equipment to help you to join in social and recreation activities.
  • Help to build your skills to take part in social and recreation activities.
  • A support worker to help you participate in activities, for example:Help changing into sports clothes
  • Setting you up to join the activity such a social group
  • To go on a holiday camp
  • Visit your local limb
  • Attend a personal development course
  • See a movie or concert
  • Go to community events
  • Join a sporting club
  • Attend an art class
  • Help to travel to a recreation event when you can’t use public transport and it’s not reasonable for family or friends to take you
Supports the NDIA don’t fund
  • The basic cost of the activities that everyone would be expected to pay for like entry fees, registration and membership fees.
  • Standard equipment you need to take part in a social or recreation activity.
  • Participation in activities at professional and/or elite level.
  • Support for a young child to attend or participate in social or recreation activities where parents would normally be expected to stay and support their child.

What is Home & Living? (Category 16)

This funding can ONLY be used flexibly WITHIN this category, not across the remaining CORE budgets.

There are a number of home & living supports available under the NDIS:

  • Short term respite (STA) – All expenses package in 24 hour period – accomodation, food, support worker and negotiated activities (up to 28 days)
  • Medium term accomodation (MTA) – Accomodation ONLY to live if you can’t move into your long term home because your disability supports aren’t ready (up to 90 days)
  • Supported independent living (SIL) – at home support or supervision to build skills in self-care, independence and maintaining a safe home for people with higher support needs
  • Individualised Living Options (ILO) – Support to help chose a supported home environment and build independence
What if I am in need of housing options and don’t meet the NDIS Home & Living criteria?

The NDIS do not generally housing, other than Specialist Disability Accomodation which is for those with high complex needs. If you need affordable housing or are at risk of homelessness, there are state or territory government programs that can help you.

Your local area coordinator (LAC) or support coordinator, if you have one, can help you apply for state or territory housing or homelessness services

Young People in Residential Aged Care (YPIRAC) – (Category 21)

Younger People in Residential Aged Care (YPIRAC) (Category 21) is a NEW category which appears under the CORE SUPPORTS BUDGET and is funding for a younger person living with a permanent disability (aged under 65 years) who lives in a residential aged care facility.

This category cannot be used flexibly across the other CORE budgets, is agency-managed ONLY and is cross-billed (meaning it is paid directly to the Department of Health and Aged Care or Aged Care Facility)

  • Support workers to assist you in the aged care facility
  • Supports to explore moving to other accomodation or to get ready to move out of residential aged care facilities
  • Other care and accomodation costs that the NDIS have agreed to – this will be reimbursed to you if included in your plan funding
Supports the NDIA don’t fund
  • Accomodation costs such as refundable accomodation deposits
  • Living expenses and basic daily care such as meals, cleaning and heating
  • Care and personal services fees that the NDIS is not responsible 

To find out more about the Younger people in residential aged care NDIS guidelines CLICK HERE

More Blog Posts

Search by category
View latest posts